March 21, 2015

On days when the universe seems to be making things a little challenging, it can also be unexpectedly generous. This afternoon, I was out at the Science Center with Theo waiting for our friends to arrive and suddenly felt my throat tickling in a disturbing way. I have had what is probably bronchitis for the last two weeks and on several occasions, I have started coughing so hard that I can’t breathe for a frighteningly long time. I went to Urgent Care and the ER last week but was told it was a virus and I’d have to wait for it to work its way out. In the meantime, it’s pretty terrifying knowing that at any moment I could start choking from my cough. And that’s what happened today at the Science Center. The tickle in my throat built up to a cough that irritated my throat so much that I felt it constricting. I couldn’t get air through my nose either and grabbed onto Theo’s arm in a panic. As I struggled to find some air, he kept asking me if I was ok. I didn’t know what to tell him. The last few episodes had eventually passed, so I trusted this one would too and tapped on my throat the way the ER nurse had taught me when I went in last week, and my airways gradually started to open up again. Once I’d recovered my breath and composed myself, I bought a cup of tea to soothe my throat, and we went on with our visit to the Science Center, me monitoring my breathing carefully and Theo asking me if I was ok whenever I coughed.


We returned home around 5pm, me pretty exhausted. I had just told David I was a bit worried about managing my Giveaway when the doorbell rang. It was two young women from the Walter Hoving Home, a shelter in Pasadena that helps women recovering from alcohol and drugs by offering them a home, food, Christian spiritual training and various practical courses ( I’ve known about this organization for years, passed by their table many times when in Pasadena, and even taken pamphlets to read about, but never given them a donation. Today, as I talked to the two young women, both currently enrolled in the Home’s recovery program trying to get their lives under control, I realized that after my ordeal today, it was time to try to help. These women had probably experienced more than a few seconds of fear for their lives, and were now taking refuge in this organization to help them feel safe again. After writing a small check, I asked if they could take a small cosmetics bag I had been saving to give to such a women’s home. They gratefully took the bag and went on their way down the street. After they left, I felt grateful to them too for allowing me to make my Giveaway and relieving me of the stress of having to think of a recipient today. It helps me breathe a little more easily, and today that means a lot.


3 thoughts on “March 21, 2015

  1. What a frightening experience for you and Theo. I’m worried that you’re still not better. Maybe a second opinion is in order. You need a gift of good health!


  2. Wow, Meher! It has been a while now. I agree with Cheryl. Second opinion time!! Get better soon! Let us know if you need anything!!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s